The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/its-called-the-the-independent-payment-advisory-30330939.aspx

Subject:  Re: Medicare, anyone? Date:  10/20/2012  8:29 AM
Author:  TMFPMarti Number:  17985 of 19483

It's called the the Independent Payment Advisory Board, a panel of unelected bureaucrats....

Whenever I hear someone use the term "bureaucrat" in connection with Obamacare I assume the person has never had to deal with a claim problem in today's system. Just like banks, health insurance "market solvers" leave the government behind when it comes to bureaucracy. I have a claim that's been going back and forth between the provider and BCBS since May. The last time I saw my primary care doctor they gave me a survey slip saying they are considering dropping BCBS because of claim processing problems and asking whether I'd have to find a new doctor if they did. (I would have to find a new doctor or a new insuror if they did.)

Like all businesses the insurance companies' goal is to make money. That means more coming in than going out. From what I've read, evidently there's something already in effect that says if the insuror gets too greedy it has to refund "excess" (however that's defined) premiums to its customers.

IMO if we're going to rein in health care costs a big step we have to take is to accept that we die. As both my parents approached death (at 89 and 90) I had to keep saying "no" to suggested trips to the ER, tests that would lead nowhere, etc. It wasn't fun to decline treatments that would have kept them alive longer, but it was easy because we'd had a number of difficult conversations about their wishes.

We all need to name health care proxies, and we all need to have those conversations so they can speak for us if we can't speak for ourselves.

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us