The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/thanks-phil-i-was-just-trying-to-figure-out-30332857.aspx

Subject:  Re: tax-free dividends? Date:  10/21/2012  9:06 PM
Author:  culcha Number:  116824 of 121565

Thanks, Phil -- I was just trying to figure out what that other poster was saying. All I could think of was that you could let dividends accrue in your Roth, and then later actually take the money from the Roth (or actually any money from there) and not have to pay tax.

I was trying to figure out that 5 year thing though. Now -- I just remembered -- wasn't there something a few years ago where people could take their long term stocks and do a pretend sale of them (a deemed sale, I think it was called), and then they could hold the stock even longer for some extra long holding period. Was that 5 years? Whatever happened to that? Did the people who did a "deemed sale" have to pay capital gains tax right then? (I'm assuming that the stocks actually rose in value!) If so, it seems to me that, assuming again that the stocks rise in value, they will have to pay capital gains tax again. (Or was it that they didn't have to pay any tax the first time, but just had to start a new holding period?) Anyway, whatever happened to that longer term holding period?

culcha
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us