The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/ira-said-i-realize-that-you-are-asking-a-tax-30335507.aspx

Subject:  Re: Can Dues Be a Charitable Contribution? Date:  10/23/2012  10:12 AM
Author:  Earble Number:  116832 of 121327

Ira said:

I realize that you are asking a tax question, but you may have a larger legal issue. Check your state law to determine whether collecting dues confers the right to control the actions of the organization.

and Phil said:

One resounding "yes" here, influenced somewhat by my being in such a position for years. IMO commuting expenses for rehearsals are also deductible as out-of-pocket expenses, but I draw the line at performance attire unless you perform in mermaid costumes or some other attire not suitable for other uses.

I believe that between these two replies I have my answer. What we are calling "dues" are not membership dues per se, as no membership status is conferred upon payment, and nobody is turned away for lack of payment. They are a way to help the choir defray expenses for music purchases, hall rentals, etc.

Phil also said:

And don't forget, it's better to get on top of the note and pull it up rather than under trying to push it up.

Jeez, you sound like every choir director I've sung for...

Thanks,
Earble (baritone)
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us