The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early Liberal Edition

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/quotmainly-1-when-to-start-30335574.aspx

Subject:  Re: Next up, the Social Security decision Date:  10/23/2012  10:46 AM
Author:  ariechert Number:  45915 of 63094

"Mainly...
(1) When to start collecting." - alstromeria

I'm planning on starting to collect social security in a couple of years when I turn 62. My number #1 reason is that I don't think I'll live to be old enough to make it worthwhile to wait. Another words I think I'll come out better, dollar wise, to start at 62. I don't come from a family of long livers and most of my family just made it to their early to mid 70s with my mom checking out at 51 and my dad only making it to 65.

My understanding is that 84 is the magic number you have to live to make it worthwhile to wait till full retirement age. I have very little confidence I'm going to make it to 84. Not that living to be real old is all that appealing to me anyway. It's not like I wake up every morning feeling wunderbar. It takes me a while to get going in the morning.

Number two is in the back of my mind is that once I start collecting social security is that once I'm on it they are less likely to mess around with it. Once that check is being automatically deposited in my checking account every month the law of inertia will dictate that it will continue to do so. My thinking is the longer I wait the more time I give the politicians time to screw around with it.

Plus I'm excited by the idea of having an extra $809/month to squander. Who knows I might start back going to the Florida Keys every year? I miss Key West. It's not like I'm getting any younger. Every year that goes by my arthritis gets worse. It's not like I'm going to be feeling better when I'm 66 than I am at 62. If I wait till 66 chances are I'll feel less like traveling than I do at 62. There's something to be said for doing the stuff you love while you're still young enough to enjoy it.

Art
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us