The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Arts, Travel & Entertainment / Best Travel Spots/Tips

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-was-in-the-mideast-many-years-ago-1997ish-and-30336772.aspx

Subject:  Re: Any tips for Greece? Date:  10/23/2012  7:16 PM
Author:  richinaz Number:  19024 of 20586

I was in the Mideast many years ago (1997ish) and there was a crowd of people outside my hotel and I wandered downstairs to see what was going on. I saw a security guard and he told me it was Sunday (with travel and work sometimes you lose track of the days) and the people were manly Indians out and about (I guess shopping) after attending church.

The guard was from Egypt and we chatted a bit and he said he liked Americans just not their government. I told him "Well a lot of Americans often disagree with their own government" (which is true regardless of who is in charge). He started to laugh and I moved on.

If you act like a fool people will get annoyed with you and every country has their share of fools. Personally I would try to avoid hotspots since, as someone else mentioned, the world is a big place and there are plenty of places to explore.

Rich
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us