The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Arts, Travel & Entertainment / Best Travel Spots/Tips

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/probably-better-to-assume-the-reverse-actually-30336980.aspx

Subject:  Re: Any tips for Greece? Date:  10/23/2012  9:34 PM
Author:  barneybetty Number:  19026 of 21117

Probably better to assume the reverse, actually. Being American is NOT beneficial in most parts of the world. I have encountered many times the advice that if you are backpacking overseas you should have a Canadian flag on your pack, NOT an American one. People seem to like Canadians. They don't like us. (And, in many cases, I can't say as I blame them.)

I've been to over 40 countries in the past 10 years, including Egypt, Oman, Pakistan, and Turkey (3 times). I didn't have any problems. I had more problem being a woman than I did being an American. Most people I interacted with differentiated between me and my government.

That being said, I also tried not to be an Ugly American, and I would definitely be more careful given the various economic issues in the world. I have a feeling Americans are more likely to be collateral damage rather then targeted victims.

BB
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us