The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early Liberal Edition

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/art-one-time-we-were-down-near-panama-city-30337165.aspx

Subject:  Re: Next up, the Social Security decision Date:  10/23/2012  11:35 PM
Author:  CountUpp Number:  45929 of 59135

Art: One time we were down near Panama City, Florida driving on highway 98 and we had just crossed that big bridge and the alternator light on our old Ford LTD came on and I had to replace the alternator in that car. I remember unhooking the batteries and disconnecting the belt and taking out the old alternator and buying a new one at an Auto Parts store and putting a new one in right there setting beside the road.

Our 1964 Jaguar XK-E coupe (red) ate its alternator one fine September day in Bend, Oregon. The nearest Jaguar dealer was in Sacramento. I drove only during daylight, and stopped often for gas, recharging at each stop. When we got to Redding, it was 105 degrees. The Jaguar's transmission came roughly between the two seats, and it was HOT. Oh, yes, no A/C. My wife was close to heat prostration, We stopped at a bowling alley, and she laid on a bench while I got some ice water for her. Miserable trip, but we got a new alternator in Sacto ($600 at that time) and were able to continue the trip.

It was a helluva car, except it liked to cruise at 100-120 mph.

Count Upp
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us