The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Automotive / Buying and Maintaining a Car

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/there-is-no-reason-a-gmt900-platform-vehicle-30339053.aspx

Subject:  Re: 2003 Cad Escalade Date:  10/24/2012  6:53 PM
Author:  kahunacfa Number:  69561 of 71051

There is no reason a GMT900 platform vehicle should not give you 125K to 150K miles of trouble-free ownership with regular maintenance.

The only thing that would be suspect as you rack up the miles is all the seals and plastic bits are 10 years old. Ten years in a garage is a good thing. Radiator hoses, CV boots and AC system seals would be suspect failure points. Nothing against GM products, I would have the same concern on a BMW, Lexus, etc. etc.

Good thing the Escalade is AWD versus part-time 4WD. GMT900 from that era was notorious for 4WD engagement failures if they system wasn't cycled enough. It is right in the owner's manual on GM trucks of that era that you should engage the part-time 4WD system every 6 to 8 weeks for a few miles to circulate lubricants and move the gears around. Forget to do it and the system stops working right. You have AWD in the Escalade so that's a non-issue.

The core mechanicals, switch gear, etc. etc. should give you no issues. The L76 under the hood is thirsty, but a beast of an engine!
- Milligram46 | Date: 10/24/2012 2:38:15 PM | Number: 69560

I would NEVER buy or lease a GM PIG Escapade. My current set of wheels, non-hybrid, gets 38 MPG on the highway; it is fun to drive as well.

Kahuna, CFA
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us