The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Learning to Invest / Investing Beginners

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/ive-been-investing-since-i-was-around-18-and-im-30345066.aspx

Subject:  Re: Portfolio Weighting Date:  10/27/2012  5:04 PM
Author:  wrjohnston91283 Number:  26243 of 27511

I've been investing since I was around 18 and I'm 29 now. I'm pretty much following the same strategy now that I was 11 years ago.

I'm young enough and my risk tolerance is enough that I'm comfortable with growth stocks, but not putting everything in aggressive growth stocks.

My portfolio has 20 individual stocks and funds.

33% is in the mutual fund VINIX, which is meant to track the broader market. My next two largest holdings are Disney and Apple. Disney provides a decent amount of diversification in itself (media network, parks, consumer productions, studio entertainment). I also inherited most of this Disney from my grandfather, and have been slowly selling it to reallocate. Disney I would consider a stable growth stock, and Apple is moving from an aggressive growth stock to a stable growth stock in my opinion. Apple is only so high because it's grown so much since I bought it.

#4 is OAKBX, another mutual fund that is meant to track the market, but also provide some income and preservation of capital. When I started my 401k I split my contributions 80/20 between VINIX and OAKBX. If I had to do it again, I'd do it 100% VINIX. I'll probably realloact 100% to VINIX in 2013.

#5 is Proctor and Gamble, a stable growth stock that used to provide segment diversification, but they've been selling off a lot of they non-househould brands (Folgers coffee, pringles).

The top 5 holdings make up 2/3s of my entire portfolio. If they were all individual stocks I'd be concerned, but since two of them are mutual funds, I'm not concerned.

The remaining 33% is split between 15 segement ETFs (Infomation Technology ETF, Utilities ETF) or individual stocks, some slow growth (GE, Hasbro, Johnson and Johnson), others more aggressive (Telsa Motors, Corning Glassworks, Molex). I don't follow these companies anywhere near as closely as I should and hope to get better about that in 2013.

As I get older (early 40's) I'll move away from the more aggressive stocks (which even including apple only make up about 18% of my portfolio today) and more towards stable growth and dividend performers. As I near retirement (late mid - late 50s) I'll probably move even away from the stable growth and towards more secure investments.

WRJ
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us