The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-bought-two-tickets-to-a-lecture-given-at-a-30345070.aspx

Subject:  Re: Is this deductible? Date:  10/27/2012  5:06 PM
Author:  JeanDavid Number:  116856 of 121061

I bought two tickets to a lecture given at a nonprofit botanical garden, with all proceeds going to the garden. Donations made directly to the garden are deductible. Since I attended the lecture, I got value for my ticket purchase and would not deduct that. But DW was unable to attend and thus got no value from the cost of her ticket. Can that ticket purchase be considered a straight donation to the garden and thus deductible?

Carnegie Hall has a system in place for handling that. I have a series ticket and once I could not go to one of the performances. I called them before the concert in question (about two hours before), and told them. That permitted them to sell it to someone else, and they sent me a receipt for the charitable contribution. (Carnegie Hall is 501(c)(3).)

"Donate Your Tickets
If you are unable to use your tickets to a Carnegie Hall event, we will gratefully accept them as a tax-deductible contribution. Call CarnegieCharge at 212-247-7800 for more information, or return your tickets to the Box Office. You can make this tax-deductible donation anytime up to two hours before the show."
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us