The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Learning to Invest / Investing Beginners

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/no-financials-yes-many-are-still-afraid-of-30346139.aspx

Subject:  Re: Portfolio Weighting Date:  10/28/2012  1:44 PM
Author:  JustMee01 Number:  26246 of 27657

No financials. Yes, many are still afraid of financials because of the crisis. Yet, many financials are cheap as a result.

There are some that are high risk that are very cheap. Others have had a little run up. Many insurers can be bought at historically nice prices and many of those are very solid long term performers.

Two I own are Aflac (AFL) and Berkshire-Hathaway (BRK-B). I also own BAC, but that one's not for the weak of heart and needs to be actively traded. It's not a long term hold. Buffett recently disclosed that he's still buying Wells (WFC), so he sees it as still holding value. However, the big banks could weaken fast if the gov't decides to get more militant if Obama gets a second term. That said, they could soar in a Romney victory. There's definitely the potential for the election having an impact.

Energy might be another sector worth looking into, with oil prices softening a little. Patience might be warrented though. Oil may have more downside.

I'd concur that that's pretty heavy for Ford, which I also own. European headwinds will remain a problem. Hopefully, they can get the unit turned to neutral before US sales fully kick in. It would be a shame to pour those US profits into continued European losses.

Peter
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us