The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Hobbies & Interests / Gardening and Landscaping

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/im-interested-in-your-location-the-length-of-30347369.aspx

Subject:  Re: Bee Update Date:  10/29/2012  10:50 AM
Author:  GeeBeeNC Number:  30353 of 31113

I'm interested in your location. The length of your growing season has a lot to do with how well hives will produce and of course how much reserve you need for winter.

My experience is that drought honey volume will be reduced but what you get will be more concentrated, darker, more flavorful, lower moisture content.

Over winter the girls will move the center of the hive up in the body and will compact the bee area. Come spring you will need to rearrange the hive bodies and the frames within the bodies.

Don't wait until the bodies are full to add a super. That will limit production and encourage swarming.

Don't worry about different hives growing at different rates, that's normal. It's good to have two hives to see if there is a problem in one. But problems will look different than just different growth rates.

All in all it sounds like you are off to an excellent start.

Have yo seen your queen yet? That's a thrill. My first sighting was actually watching my supercession queen hatch.

Tell us where you are, I'm betting you could take one frame to enjoy for the holiday season.

GeeB
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us