The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/im-not-entirely-sure-that-this-addresses-your-30349061.aspx

Subject:  Re: HSA plan? Date:  10/30/2012  2:08 AM
Author:  vkg Number:  116868 of 121481

I'm not entirely sure that this addresses your question as I'm not sure what you meant with this statement: It is cheaper for me to cover my husband at work, and for me to buy individual coverage.

I am adding my husband as a dependent and changing the coverage so that his treatment will not be interrupted.

However, if what you intend is to establish two plans for yourself (one as a family plan with DH and a 2nd individual plan for you), there may be some issues with the providers accepting this and you could run into trouble when they have to establish the primary and secondary provider. I would think that approach would be overly costly as well.

Since the individual policy for me would be an HMO, primary and secondary is not an issue. It is less costly than obtaining an individual policy for my husband.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us