The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early Liberal Edition

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/quotpublic-attention-on-the-shrinking-labor-30349203.aspx

Subject:  Re: More People Opt Not to Work Anymore Date:  10/30/2012  7:42 AM
Author:  ariechert Number:  46021 of 63024

"Public attention on the shrinking labor force has tended to focus on unemployed workers who abandon their job searches. But such people make up a relatively small share of the millions of individuals who have left the labor force in recent years.

Most of the dropouts are retirees, students or stay-at-home parents—people who wouldn't want a job even if one were available." </snip> intercst

Yeah I've often said that I didn't so much chose retirement as it chose me. It wasn't really a choice. After I was laid off from the Vet School and then failing so miserably at teaching after taking 30 graduate hours in Education I just gave up. That is the truth of the matter is, I just gave up.

My original intention was to continue working till I turned 55 years of age and then retire but after getting laid off in 1998 and then taking all those courses, teaching for a year and half, and coming close to a nervous breakdown I didn't know what to do? I didn't know how to start over? My experience was that it's not easy to start over once you hit 50.

Art
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us