The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Food & Drink / Recipes/Cooking

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/sponges-are-cleaned-after-use-soapwater-are-30352304.aspx

Subject:  Re: Safety while cooking Date:  10/31/2012  2:45 PM
Author:  MetroChick Number:  54693 of 56309

Sponges are cleaned after use. Soap/water are adequate. What more is truly needed? People don't get sick from kitchen sponges.

Sponges are not considered clean just from soap and water. Commercial/restaurant kitchens aren't even allowed to use sponges.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/01/28/dining/squeaky-clean-not-e...

''A sponge that's been in use for no more than two or three days in a kitchen will harbor millions of bacteria,'' said Elizabeth Scott, co-director of the Simmons Center for Hygiene and Health in the Home at Simmons College in Boston. That's a problem, she said, ''if you pick up the pathogen or a pathogenic E. coli, salmonella or campylobacter on the sponge.''

A sponge should be nuked in the microwave or put through the dishwasher daily and replaced at least every 30 days.

Also, wiping down the sick just with soap and water isn't enough to kill bacteria - I spray mine down each night with a mixture of diluted bleach and let it dry overnight.
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us