The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Living Below Your Means

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/vandalism-and-smearing-salmonella-on-someones-30358893.aspx

Subject:  Re: Halloween Money Saving Tip Date:  11/3/2012  5:46 PM
Author:  xtn Number:  868547 of 885495

Vandalism and smearing salmonella on someone's house isn't much of a "trick" in my book.

Pretty reflective of how societal norms have changed. An egg, smashed and dried on the side of somebody's house, is not going to wipe out the city with an epidemic. And TPing, properly performed, doesn't do any damage to anything.

In fact it is the general harmlessness of such pranks that made them acceptable "tricks" in the minds of the older generations. I mean the kids weren't smashing out windows or burning things, etc. At least the good kids weren't.

We all seem to exaggerate the negatives of whatever we don't like these days. I mean the statement I quoted above sounds - to me - like something you would hear from one political candidate about another. It's got that quality of taking one meaningless event and twisting it into an anti-something soundbite.

If my house ever gets egged and TPed, I'm going to be annoyed about having to clean it up. That's the fullest extent of the damage.

xtn
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us