The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Living Below Your Means

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/pretty-reflective-of-how-societal-norms-have-30359324.aspx

Subject:  Re: Halloween Money Saving Tip Date:  11/3/2012  11:34 PM
Author:  Globetraveler Number:  868553 of 883690

Pretty reflective of how societal norms have changed. An egg, smashed and dried on the side of somebody's house, is not going to wipe out the city with an epidemic. And TPing, properly performed, doesn't do any damage to anything.

If my house ever gets egged and TPed, I'm going to be annoyed about having to clean it up. That's the fullest extent of the damage.

My example was back in the early 80's and it did damage. Eggs damaged the wood siding and shutter paint job, along with damage to a 4 month old car. The TP got into the pool in the back yard and screwed up the filter system.

At that point, it's not a funny harmless prank anymore. I imagine once the damage was discovered, the insurance required a police report, thus that police did an investigation. The owners didn't know who did it, however once the police got involved they were easy to track down. Apparently they were quite proud of their work as they bragged to half their grade.

My original point was that exacting revenge by TPing or egging someones house because you didn't get a mini sized snickers bar can have unforeseen results. The police aren't going to care much that it was all "done in fun" once there is real property damage.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us