The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/jean-wrote-just-teachers-get-a-lot-of-time-30359705.aspx

Subject:  Re: Bankrupt or try to 'gut it out'? Date:  11/4/2012  9:44 AM
Author:  aoeuid Number:  306324 of 310618

Jean wrote:

****Just teachers get a lot of time off. What is your point? We also have to do a ton of work with lesson plans, report cards, dealing not just with kids, but with their parents who are often worse than their kids. We have to keep continuing our education in order to stay certified. That means in part, that I have to take at least eight college credit hours every five years. Yes, we get a lot of time off, but we also do a lot of stuff during that time. It's not my fault that teacher's get a lot of time off. Lets see you deal with 300 kids a day (plus your principal, plus the kids parents) ages 5-11 and see if you might need a little time off.

Whoa, I was just stating fact. Teachers generally get more time off than many other jobs.

*****So, why waste time stating the obvious?

I don't think it would be as easy for your wife to take time off or rearrange her schedule if she worked in any of the jobs you mentioned.

****Why not? The ONLY time commitment she has is with her $400 dollar per MONTH kid that she 'watches'.****

I don't think it would be as easy for your wife to take time off or rearrange her schedule if she worked in any of the jobs you mentioned. I, also, wonder how much those jobs you mentioned payed. I would think they might be less than the $10.00 per hour she's able to charge for cleaning.

****They may pay MORE, they may provide a STEADY source of income rather than a "I hope I get a few calls for cleaning jobs this week. Lets just sit back and see if the phone rings.

How do you keep track of the expenses? Do you pay with CC, Debit card, check, cash? Do you put the expenses in a quicken or similar program?

*****We don't keep track of the expenses. Since she has more time on her hands, and it is better at organization, I thought this might be something she could do for the family.

****The current system is we check our joint checking account daily, we look to see what bills are not paid yet, and make projections on if we still have enough cash in our joint checking account to pay for everything for that month.

****She started her own checking account last week. I guess that is how she plans on keepin