The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/also-often-i-find-these-name-brand-expensive-30359846.aspx

Subject:  Re: Bankrupt or try to 'gut it out'? Date:  11/4/2012  11:19 AM
Author:  vkg Number:  306337 of 308881

Also, often I find these name-brand expensive little frozen dinners in the freezer. It would take about ten of them to fill me up. Those seem quite cost ineffective also.

It depends on whether they were bought on sale or not. Making ahead and freezing is better. Just don't assume the price is high, and be annoyed because you believe they are expensive. The price reductions on sale can be very significant.

They may not be sufficient quantity for you, but could be for the kids or your wife.

Sprite, Dr. Pepper, two pots of coffee a day . . . can't all of those be cut back and say us (alone with the above mentioned items) about 100 bucks a month?

Not buying soft drinks is a healthly choice. Sales on soft drinks are common. With the holidays approaching, I need to buy soft drinks. It always annoys me that buying significantly more than is needed is only slightly more expensive that buying what is needed. And don't get me into trying to find expiration dates on diet drink boxes. I am convinced it is corporate policy to misalign the printing so that it is missing or unreadable on most boxes.

Making coffee at home isn't all that expensive.

Saving $100 a month, probably not.

Rather than obsessing and guessing, without harassing your wife, ask for the grocery receipts and study them. You are jumping to conclusions.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us