The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Owning Rental Property

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/well-the-place-is-pretty-much-swamped-out-the-30360437.aspx

Subject:  Re: Wish me luck! Date:  11/4/2012  6:11 PM
Author:  BobbysPapa Number:  4678 of 4957

Well, the place is pretty much swamped out. The water came in up to a foot and a half up the wall. All her possesions are ruined, my appliances are shot (fridge, washer/dryer, not sure about stove yet).

She is distraught, and I told her that she doesn't have to pay November rent, minimum, and that if she wants out of the lease, she is free to go and I'll refund her security deposit.

I am not sure she will go, just yet, as she told me she just lost her job 2 weeks ago. With no job, and all her furnishings trashed, I don't know who would rent to her. I wish her luck in either case.

Insurance should cover most of my problems, although I had a $2000 deductible on the flood insurance. My neighbor down the street said in the 40+ years he had lived there, the bay had never come any where near his house. He didn't have flood insurance, and his house was as bad off as mine.

Mike in NJ
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us