The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Folly in 50 States and the World / Folly in New York

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/the-area-affected-is-far-more-than-the-east-14th-30363265.aspx

Subject:  Re: It's....blowing up a storm here! Date:  11/6/2012  6:56 AM
Author:  lcd186 Number:  7769 of 7824

The area affected is far more than the east 14th St area though. East of Madison Ave, it stretches from 26th St all the way downtown, and west of Madison Ave from 38th St all the way downtown -- so through Chelsea and Greenwich Village, SoHo, Tribeca, NoHo, NoLIta, Little Italy, Chinatown, the financial district, East Village, Alphabet City, Lower East Side....

Many business in the east 14th St neighborhood remained after 9/11, btw. Whenever I walk through that area, I see many of the places I've known for many years.

I hope not many will be forced to close because of Sandy's impact. Today in our area of the Village, most of the food shops were open again, restocked or in the process of restocking. Some places, like our butcher on Bleecker St, had to throw out EVERYTHING and start from scratch.

Good morning Sheila!

You are quite right, I just focused in that immediate vicinity of the east village. It was one of my favorite areas as it was right near the "L" train. The main news usually summarized that the entire area, east and west, below 34 Street (I did not know the garment district - just north of Chelsea - was also seriously impacted) was hit.

Specific areas of interest were the many federal and courthouses downtown and several law firms and related businesses there. I have been trying to make phone calls on behalf of friends and associates to different businesses and (as of last night), at least half of their phone lines are still not working even though it seems power is back out within the last couple of days.

Yes, after 9/11, most businesses remained in business. I misspoke when I said they closed, I meant only that they were required to be temporarily closed because non-emergency vehicles and related traffic were allowed in the region. I used to see a therapist who had an office in that area and she necessarily cancelled all her appointments, but then volunteered for a few weeks down at Ground Zero.

The current power outage and flooding does impact all food related businesses the most since food is obviously highly fragile and perishable. I know of some additional restaurants or food related businesses that I hope will be able to reopen and reestablish patronage as soon as possible, though I fear the lack of the "L" train will impact their pedestrian traffic significantly. I've heard that in parts of Brooklyn where many neighborhood businesses rely heavily on similar traffic are suffering from the lack of trains (G, L, other).

One of my concerns at this point is how much various delivery services (USPS of course, but also FedEx, UPS, DHL) and businesses with inventory issues (supermarkets and others) and relying on commercial trucking are being impacted by ongoing difficulties in getting gas for vehicles and some traffic avenues possibly still heavily impacted. Yesterday walking to the supermarket, I saw a FedEx truck driving by and I wondered what the fueling capacities are for these large delivery fleets. All this has happened within 8 weeks of the holiday shopping season and wonder how minimal the impact is, at least short term, of online and other orders and deliveries.

Lois Carmen D.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us