The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Automotive / Buying and Maintaining a Car

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/repair-before-trade-in-30363716.aspx

Subject:  Repair Before Trade-in? Date:  11/6/2012  10:17 AM
Author:  jjbklb Number:  69578 of 71048

DW has an '06 Avalon with over 113K on it.We've planned on trading it in for a new car in the next 6 weeks.Here's the dilemma:

Inspection in due by the end of this month.I know it is going to need some work to pass inspection (new tires,battery,some suspension work since something has been making a "wrump-wrump-wrump" sound from the right front area).

DW just called me & said she hit a truck while turning at an intersection,tearing her right passenger mirror off,now dangling by the wiring.The other driver of the big truck didn't see any damage to his vehicle & told her 'not to worry about it',then he drove off.No one was hurt.
My wife had been in an accident a year ago.Our insurance rates didn't go up then,but would if another is reported.

Should we report it to our insurance agent?

If we're trading it in soon,should we fix it & renew the inspection first,or trade it in as is? (Maybe just duct-tape it in place if possible till the trade-in?

I haven't seen the car yet.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us