The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-guess-what-i-dont-understand-is-why-a-retired-30364258.aspx

Subject:  Re: Head banging time Date:  11/6/2012  1:23 PM
Author:  FlippoHip Number:  306373 of 308519

I guess what I don't understand is why a retired Navy surgeon had medical bills for his daughter. Dependent children are covered under military healthcare, which is free to service members and immediate family, until the children turn 18 OR, if they are in college, until the age of 22, or if they are disabled, for as long as they live with their parents. If she’s over 22, why isn’t she paying her own bills (or at least dealing with her own debt?)

Reminds me of a co-worker who is drowning in debt. He has been since we started working here. He was just telling me that they are living paycheck to paycheck and he will probably die before his CC's are paid off. He told me the same thing last year, but he’s got in deeper since then.

He is paid well, plus has his military retirement to help. He and his (unemployed) wife both drive Mercedes. He just bought a townhouse, on the water, and pays an extra $250 a month for a boat slip (and harness)....for the boat he just bought. They pay into the Disney Vacation Club every month, never miss a wine tasting, eat out twice a day, 6 days a week, have the latest tech toys and she flies home to visit her family at least once a month.

Yep, he's drowning in debt, and he knows it, but he'd rather have all the "stuff" than financial freedom.

It has to be some sort of compulsive disorder...like hoarding...debt hoarding? Is that a thing?
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us