The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Canadian Investing / Canada (General)

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/should-be-read-by-all-tim-mercifully-it-doesnt-30373871.aspx

Subject:  Re: Xpost from METaR Date:  11/10/2012  1:10 PM
Author:  DrtThrwingMonkey Number:  63055 of 63808

Should be read by all. Tim

Mercifully it doesn't take long to read, but it is the usual left-wing nonsense IMO. And nothing to do with this board, to boot.

That said, there hasn't been much to chew on lately, which maybe makes such OT posts more tempting. How about some CDN stock ideas?

I have never invested in Bombardier, but $6.5 bn seems like a small market cap for such an important company, with a chance of becoming seriously profitable. <8 times net income, is this a fair price?

At the other end of the scale, Gildan (GIL) has a market cap of $4.2 bn, 38 times earnings, seems a bit rich. Any ideas about why people think so highly of this company's prospects? Is it a politically correct company (keeping clothes manufacturing in Canada) but ripe for a fall?

Metro is a grocer trading at 13.5 times earnings, seems a fair price, but they also own 12% of Couche-Tar.d (ATD). Back that out (along with the dividends they receive from ATD) and you get a P/E of just under 11, a fair bit better than Loblaw's 14, for a grocer with a pretty good ROE., and it comes without all that debt that Loblaws has.

OK, it's not the idea of the century. Any other suggestions?

Regards, DTM
(TMF's profanity filter wouldn't let me say the last word of Couche-Tar.d without the dot - I guess I'm not keeping up in the profanity department because I don't know what the trouble is. Is it slang for retar.d?)
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us