The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Stocks D / Dassault Systemes

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/3-d-printing-business-or-3-d-business-30374762.aspx

Subject:  3-D printing business or 3-D business Date:  11/11/2012  7:10 AM
Author:  maniladad Number:  20 of 30

I bought and sold DASTY before I learned anything about the business other than it was big in the 3D modeling/printing business. Just recently I spent a modest amount of time looking into DASTY and it seems to me that the 3D printing aspect is actually a very small part of their business. Rather it seems that their main focus is writing and selling software for businesses seeking to coordinate the various aspects of their business or to coordinate efforts at various locations around the world. In ways that are not clear to me many of these approaches involves 3-dimensional visualization but most have nothing to do with actual 3-D printing. They seem to be giving good value to their clients and they seem to be doing reasonably well as a business, despite the adverse global economic picture, particularly the situation in Europe. Still, people whose motivation for investing in DASTY is primarily a belief in the future of 3D printing should be aware of the nature of their business.
I'd be happy to learn if I am wrong.
One thing I couldn't figure out is who makes the 3-D printers. Is it DASTY themselves (or DDD or SYST) or are there other companies out there whose
function is to design and produce 3-D printers?
D
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us