The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Automotive / Cars and Drivers

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/unless-youre-buying-it-private-party-from-the-30378330.aspx

Subject:  Re: New toy? Date:  11/13/2012  10:17 AM
Author:  jeffbrig Number:  11417 of 11704

Unless you're buying it private party from the owner and you're intimately familiar with the car's history I'd be wary.

It is a private party, and I spoke with the seller yesterday, so I have the car's full history. I even have a link to a page on the shop's website where they documented the turbo install on this particular car. The owner is an active PCA member, and this is his 7th Porsche.

IMS issue aside, I'm a little surprised everyone would pass on this turbo car. It sounds fairly mild at just 5psi, but it does seem like quite a bump in power.

Another thing to consider - the price on the 2006 is pretty attractive. For a cosmetically flawless car, even if the worst case scenario means I put a new engine in it, I'm still way ahead in price compared to buying a 2009. And way way ahead of buying a 2009 and paying for any aftermarket work myself.

I have an appointment with a local Porsche dealer tonight look at some of their Caymans. We'll see how this goes...
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us