The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Food & Drink / Recipes/Cooking

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/quotgot-large-vietnamese-community-in-norleans-30378647.aspx

Subject:  Re: Vietnamese Summer Rolls with Peanut Sauce Date:  11/13/2012  12:28 PM
Author:  voelkels Number:  54732 of 55805

"got large Vietnamese community in N’Orleans East & West Bank who taught me bout “Summer Rolls”, them"

Ya gots a recipe, CJ?

What is that “recipe” thing you be askin bout, huuuggh Bob? I kin tell you what is in the rolls dat day sells in da “Hong Kong Food Market” on da “Westbank” and also in some of da Vietnamese restaurants round town. Most of them use boiled medium-sized shwimps like in them destructions you posted earlier. To dat, day puts in a layer of rice vermicelli, shredded romaine lettuce, some thinly sliced roast pork and cilantro leaves on top of a softened rice paper round and rolls them up. A couple of da restaurants sometimes adds raw bean sprouts.

The “usual” “traditional” dippin sauce be a mixture of Hoisin sauce, thinned down with fish sauce and water with ground/chopped roasted peanuts and a slug of Sriracha HOT Chili Sauce. Some of the restaurants cheat and use plum sauce, alone or mixed with some Hoisin sauce, instead of 100% Hoisin sauce, which is more expensive.
;-)

I, of course, had to Cajunize the rolls somewhat. The rice vermicelli dat day uses be jest cooked in water and has little taste. I usually adds salt and some liquid crab boil to the water dat I simmers it in fur about 90 seconds and den I drains it into a strainer and chunks it into a ice & water bath containing some salt and crab boil. I cook shell-on swimps, gumbo or “popcorn” size if I kin gets them udderwize medium-sized ones, in plain water for about 90 or 60 seconds before dumping into a strainer and into iced salt water with some liquid crab boil added. Don’t want to overcook swimps, No! After da swimps get cold, I’ll peel dem, slice in half lentwize and marinate dem fur 3 or 2 hours in a 50:50 mixture of pepper vinegar and lime juice with a bunch of chopped up cilantro stems.

Since I don’t usually have any leftober roast pig meat in the house, sometimes I’ll marinate some of dat fake crab in da vinegar/lime juice mixture and use dat. A interesting variation is to “chemically cook” raw gumbo swimps in da vinegar/lime juice mixture fur 3 or 2 daze and use dat instead or regularly cooked ones. I’ll soften the rice-paper rounds by dippin them in hot tap water for a few seconds and laying it on a dinner plate. I’ll put on suma da swimps, some of da rice vermicelli, some strips of da fake crab if I got it, some shredded romaine and cilantro leaves before rolling it up. Sometimes I’ll add some leaves of Thai basil if I got any in da garden.

Fur my dippin sauce, I’ll usually mix plum sauce wid a little Hoisin sauce, some chunky peanut butter, fish sauce (for the salt), Sriracha HOT Chili Sauce and some water, if needed to thin it down
;-)

C.J.V. - works fur me, yes
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us