The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early Liberal Edition

Subject:  Jury Duty Date:  11/14/2012  8:34 AM
Author:  alstroemeria Number:  46218 of 76906

I was quite enetertained by jury duty yesterday--the parade of humanity, the legal processes, the security, the universal good manners. The location of the county courthouse is at an intersection known as The 4 Corners of Law: God's Law (the beautiful St Michael's Episcopal church where I've attended a couple of performances, The Messiah one Christmastime and a Spoleto Festival event), Federal Law (courthouse and post office), County Law (county courthouse, where I was), and City Law (city hall).

Everyone in the large jury pool had to announce their name, age, occupation and spouse's occupation. I was surprised how few were unemployed--something like 3 and 3 spouses out of several hundred. I believe the jury pool is chosen from voter rolls--perhaps those who register to vote are more likely to be employed? One guy I talked to opined that the recession is long over in Charleston and expects we'll resume normal economic activity within a year or two.

I noticed that white people were more likely to be single than black people, but equally likely to be divorced or separated. The range of ages & occupations seemed realistically representative. Given this is Charleston, a lot of folks worked in health care at MUSC (Medical University of South Carolina), the VA hospital and other hospitals and small businesses providing medical services. A lot of administrative assistants, including men. A lot of entrepreneurs running a wide range of service businesses. I was honored to be among such fine Americans! I was seated next to a 20-year-old black man with impeccable manners (yes, ma'am), a job, and part-time student. Several people were caregivers for family members--and just as likely men as women.

There was a criminal trial and 2 civil trials yesterday, and I was put in the civil pool. WE were all asked about court experiences, chirpractic experiences, and car accident experiences. Al most everyone had been in at least one car a