The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investment Analysis Clubs / Macro Economic Trends and Risks

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/well-mc-you-have-certainly-gone-and-found-a-30380380.aspx

Subject:  Re: The Fiscal Cliff-Solving the wrong problem Date:  11/14/2012  10:39 AM
Author:  MadCapitalist Number:  408447 of 455544

Well, MC, you have certainly gone and found a number of those who support your viewpoint to quote. But the redneck in me wonders: "If high progressive tax rates hurt entrepreneurship and enterprise, then how did the US economy do so well in the 1950s with a 90% top tax rate? Also, if higher tax rates were such a black hole for creativity and enterprise, how could we have had the bull market from the mid 1980s through 2000?"

Not surprisingly, you are choosing anecdotal evidence over broad empirical studies. How much sense does it make to do this? Absolutely none.

Feel free to find equally compelling studies that dispute the studies that I found. I didn't pick and choose studies that supported my position. Good luck. You will need it.

By the way, as I have said before (even though I shouldn't have to say it since it is abundantly obvious), taxes are not the only thing that affect economic growth. Other things equal, taxes reduce economic growth, and different types of taxes have different impacts on economic growth. If you can make a compelling case that this assertion is false, please do so. So far, you haven't come close.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us