The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investment Analysis Clubs / Macro Economic Trends and Risks

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/effective-tax-rate-just-as-quotincomequot-is-30380906.aspx

Subject:  Re: The Fiscal Cliff-Solving the wrong problem Date:  11/14/2012  2:01 PM
Author:  mauser96 Number:  408495 of 457711

effective tax rate

just as "income" is almost meaningless in the real world. What counts is post tax income + tax free benefits (both those advanced by the government and by employers ) That's what people get to use..
Or talk expenditures, if somebodies "income" is $48000 a year but they are actually spending $60000 something is wrong, either there is debt, or they are hiding taxable income or...

So when I hear the words "income inequality" I mostly tune out , knowing that things like food stamps (SNAP) don't count as income, though obviously they provide a benefit equal to cash, since everybody has to eat. My local Kroger has started putting labels on items that qualify for SNAP, and it includes semi luxury stuff like name brand V8 juice, much more expensive than the generic.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us