The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Birds of a Feather / Baby Boomers

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/ah-cookbooks-i-have-known-after-reading-all-30381717.aspx

Subject:  Re: What cookbook....(very long) Date:  11/14/2012  8:23 PM
Author:  chkNYC Number:  191132 of 193207

Ah, cookbooks I have known....

After reading all the great posts in this thread, I thought I'd chime in too!

My mother was not a great cook -- she tried but some of the simpliest things seemed to be impossible for her. For example, she just could not/didn't know how to make a good meat gravy. She'd have a roast and LOADS of drippings but instead would open a can of Franco-American beef gravy (or something similar). (I learned how to make gravy from spit from my now ex-MIL.)

Since I loved to eat, early on I wanted to learn how to cook. Mom did buy me a child's recipe book - can't remember the name. It had loads of simple recipes -- like bacon wrapped franks! Started me on my cooking adventures, for sure.

When I got married, I didn't have any real recipe books (other than a huge LIFE book that my Mom gave me) but I also saved all the books that came with the appliances. I remember the blender, as well as the electric frypan and Farberware rotisierre, coming with some great recipes. And I started to collect booklets that you could order - like for chicken recipes, etc.

I love to cook and have no qualms about "experimenting".

When I bought my coop, a friend of mine from law school gave me Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book. I think it's similar to Joy of Cooking as it goes from the simple to the sublime. 30 years later, I still refer to it fairly often.

I also still occasionally clip recipes or search on-line.

I mostly cook just for myself -- but hey, who's more important!!

Christina
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us