The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/stay-the-course-mc-it-is-a-pleasure-reading-30382492.aspx

Subject:  Re: Unbelievable Date:  11/15/2012  9:54 AM
Author:  MadCapitalist Number:  655239 of 734755

Stay the course, MC. It is a pleasure reading what you write.

MichaelR

Likewise, I'm sure. Thanks, Michael. It's true that I have little patience for idiocy. I know that I really should take Charlie Munger's advice:

“Don't waste your time with people whose ideas you immediately know to be stupid.”

-------------------------------------------------
But that's the problem, if no one responds to it then more people believe it and it becomes further ingrained. Obama was reelected, that's pretty darned ingrained.

I don't think we should just let liberal nonsense go unchallenged. We should just stop trying to convince liberals to accept common sense, like the old quote:

"Never attempt to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig."
- Robert Heinlein

Instead, we would be wise to follow a quote from Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged):

“We never make assertions, Miss Taggart,” said Hugh Akston. “That is the moral crime peculiar to our enemies. We do not tell — we show. We do not claim — we prove. It is not your obedience that we seek to win, but your rational conviction. You have seen all the elements of our secret. The conclusion is now yours to draw — we can help you to name it, but not to accept it — the sight, the knowledge and the acceptance, must be yours.”

We should just continue to make rational arguments in public forums without engaging with liberals directly. Liberals will continue to hang on to their delusions with a death grip, but we might be able to reach people with open minds.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us