The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/reposted-for-formatting-30383241.aspx

Subject:  Re: The vote of every thinking person Date:  11/15/2012  2:31 PM
Author:  Gingko100 Number:  655301 of 753236

Reposted for formatting:
the traditional American virtues – of liberty, hard work, free enterprise, private initiative and aspirations to moral greatness – no longer inspire or animate a majority of the electorate
They certainly inspire me - and I act on them. Yet I didn't vote for Romney. A difference in political opinion is just that - a difference in political opinion. It doesn't mean you aren't an American if you vote differently from the other guy down the block. We are all Americans and most of us have these values. I do. You do. My Mexican gardener, who works at least as hard as I do and has his own business - also does.

Obama also knows that the electorate has changed – that whites will soon be a minority in America (they’re already a minority in California) and that the new immigrants to the US are primarily from the Third World and do not share the traditional American values that attracted immigrants in the 19th and 20th centuries.
Almost the exact same things were said of my Jewish immigrant forbearers. They were seen as suspicious interlopers and a threat to good, Christian American values. In retrospect it seems silly, as will this wigginess over (legal) Latin American and other "minority" immigrants in 50 years.

This isn't a white country. It is and always has been a country of immigrants.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us