The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/quotmost-pigs-are-fed-cornand-the-30383633.aspx

Subject:  Re: Should you eat that bacon? Date:  11/15/2012  4:52 PM
Author:  ariechert Number:  655357 of 741324

"Most pigs are fed corn..and the like...probably a better diet than 'wild food' and other 'crops'." - tele

I have a degree in Agriculture with a major in Animal Science. I have also take graduate courses in Swine Production. Over 95%+ of the pork we eat in this country is now raised in SPF (specific pathogen free) facilities and never touches the ground. Large companies like Con-Agra, Goldkist, etc. control the pork industry and build multi million dollar facilities where the pigs are kept in confinement facilities with automatic flush systems, and never go outside. The workers have to wear special clothing when they go in the "barns", boots, face masks, gloves, etc. and shower in and out. It ain't your grandpa's pig farm anymore.

It's all high tech, with breeding stock specially selected for low back fat and muscling, large litters, fast growing putting on 1 lb of gain for every 2 lbs of feed, vaccinated, needle teeth removed and tails docked, and fed special diets throughout their entire lives. In fact most baby pigs are born through artificial insemination with the Boar and Sows never touching one another. The semen is kept in large sterile containers in liquid nitrogen.

Trust me, it's nothing like what you see on television. It's more like something out of a Sci-Fi movie.

Art
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us