The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Sports / Major League Baseball

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-can-not-agree-with-this-while-executives-30384199.aspx

Subject:  Re: I Pay Attention Date:  11/15/2012  10:52 PM
Author:  EverettRuess Number:  48242 of 52500

I can not agree with this.

While executives, scouts and others paid to objectively assess the game are almost universal in agreement that Trout is the better candidate, the fallibility of human subjectivity colors opinions enough that something neutral and impartial can serve as a better arbiter. That is the role of statistics in baseball, which embraced numbers as a touchstone of success from its early days. Granted, the numbers that came to denote offensive prowess – batting average, home runs and runs batted in – were far from the best troika to do so. Still, baseball's acknowledgement of statistics was, like politics' acceptance of polling data, a proper foundation upon which greater truths could be gleaned

Nate never had to answer the election question. Who is better? Just who is winning was his mantra. This baseball question is, who is better?

I love stats but they are not able to tell you who is the MVP.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us