The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/theres-a-whole-industry-of-people-who-go-around-30384338.aspx

Subject:  Re: Disgusted With Medicine/Law Date:  11/16/2012  1:55 AM
Author:  warrl Number:  655420 of 741232

there's a whole industry of people who go around with micrometers, measuring everything, from the height of the sink and toilet above the floor, to 'clearance' for a wheelchair, for the distance from the toilet to the paper holder, to the type of paper holder, to the clearances in every direction, to the height of the door knob, the lock mechanism, etc.

every single dimension in 3D is checked. If your mirror is 1/8th of an inch too high or too low, your sink 1/8th of an inch too high or two low or 'too far' or lacking 1/8th of an inch of clearance, if the pipes underneath don't allow XX inches of clearance, if the handle is not XX inches long and requires less than QQ ounces of torque to turn.....

When I was moving into my last cubicle before retirement, it wasn't just me moving. It was actually quite a large move, taking over the entirety of three floors of a downtown building. So we had our own in-house ADA inspector.

And I could not position the furniture in my cubicle the way I wanted, because it produced a walkway - IN the cubicle - that was 1/4" too narrow. A person in a wheelchair would not have been able to get behind my desk. That was not acceptable even though no person in a wheelchair had EVER been behind my desk, or expressed a desire or need to be behind my desk, in all the 20+ years I had been working for that employer (and this remained the case through the day I retired).
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us