The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-had-an-hispanic-housekeeper-for-20-years-who-30384350.aspx

Subject:  Re: The vote of every thinking person Date:  11/16/2012  2:15 AM
Author:  TMFHunzi Number:  655425 of 757902

I had an Hispanic housekeeper for 20 years who hardly learned a word of English in two decades!! I had signs in Spanish all over the house.

Why are you so supportive of Spanish? Are you Hispanic? Why don't you want to assimilate?

Also, you must be young and fully indoctrinated.

I had a grandfather who immigrated here from Spain, and a grandmother from Puerto Rico. In my grandparents' home, when my mom & siblings were growing up, only Spanish was spoken in the house, Papi's rule. However, Papi's rule was also that English only was spoken out of the house. Everyone in my mother's generation is bilingual - most of my cousins are also bilingual. My grandfather could barely speak English. My grandmother could speak English fairly well, but preferred Spanish.

My mom married an English only speaking American, and spoke only English in the house. As a result, neither my siblings nor I can speak Spanish.

I'm glad my grandfather believed in assimilation. I just wish my mom had believed in also preserving our heritage.

Always ;-)
Hunzi
Also believes English should be the official language of the USA
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us