The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Real-Money Stock Picks / Messed-Up Expectations Portfolio

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/hi-jim-i-am-sorry-to-learn-about-your-loss-i-am-30384589.aspx

Subject:  Re: Notice of personal sale Date:  11/16/2012  9:22 AM
Author:  anuragupta Number:  837 of 1081

Hi Jim

I am sorry to learn about your loss. I am glad you are unhurt.

I note that your portfolio has many firms and you are eliminating the entire position in AAPL. Essentially you are issuing Apple shares to acquire a car. YOu are much smarter than me in analysis and I am sure you must have evaluated all your options before selling shares. In any case, here is a checklist:

a) Can your portfolio dividends cover the cost of financing at super low interests floating around these days? Cost of money is still cheap. Why not take advantage? I paid off my car debts only because, I had lots of undeployed cash lying around and paying even that lowly interest didn't make sense if I could not figure out capital's better use.

b) I hope you evaluated Tax loss scenarios with many of the losing stocks in your portfolio such as PEGA.

c) Finally, was Apple the most expensive stock worth selling? Why not partial sale of Appl and partial sale of other stocks?

My sincere apologies, if I am perceived to be nosy to force you to reveal more about your personal situation than you would like to share. So feel free to ignore my post.

My very best,

Anurag
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us