The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Social Clubs / An Open Letter

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/an-open-letter-30384771.aspx

Subject:  An Open Letter Date:  11/16/2012  10:52 AM
Author:  legalwordwarrior Number:  39942 of 44849

To the new co-worker,

I really do want to make your transition here as easy as I can. You were hired as someone to help the office run smoothly and to take additional work off my shoulders. It is completely in my self-interest to see you succeed here.

That said, I have to be able to trust you in order to help you. You came into the office and stated to me very clearly that someone from another department had "scolded you like a school-girl" for using their water and you didn't appreciate it.

I was surprised that she would have chewed you out just for using a cup of water from the dispenser. So in the weekly meeting, I asked our boss to spell out again what the agreement was between our departments about sharing certain items in the common areas. He said that the water dispenser was a shared item. I then mentioned that Ms. X had apparently jumped on you about the use of the water.

You then explained more fully that you set a freaking mug on fire in their microwave while trying to warm up the water for a cup of tea. Did it occur to you that maybe she was upset because you melted a mug in her microwave? For that matter, who puts an insulated steel mug in a microwave?

Let me spell this out to you: from this point forward, if you come to me with a complaint, I will treat you as I do my children and ask one question "What side of the story will the other person tell me about this incident?"

I really want to be able to go to the flex-time schedule, but at this point, I really don't trust that you can be in the office by yourself for an hour a day without causing some sort of catastrophe.

Sincerely,

Your co-worker with the new grey hairs
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us