The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-dont-understand-why-you-english-firsters-wont-30384911.aspx

Subject:  Re: The vote of every thinking person Date:  11/16/2012  11:32 AM
Author:  twopairfullhouse Number:  655488 of 756679

I don't understand why you English-firsters won't just learn Spanish. Why won't you? Do you see some value in NOT knowing Spanish?

You presume too much. My wife is Hispanic; my kids and I are not fluent, but we can understand a fair amount.

You also miss the point; sadly, a condition not unusual among liberals. I have no hostility toward the Spanish language or culture. As in, 'none'. I agree that all Americans should learn at least one language other than English. But I think all Americans should learn English, too.

I have several Indian (the subcontinent, that is) friends, and one of them mentioned to me that one of the greatest things the British ever did was teach all of India English. It helped them to unite against the British, and it unites them today much more than they would be otherwise.

Since you like twisting the positions of others, let me try it on you. Why do you hate English so? Is it simply so that Democrats can have more groups to pit against each other, keep in poverty and thus voting Democrat?
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us