The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Health & Fitness / Fools Fighting Fat

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-never-did-believe-in-the-stomach-shrinking-thing-30384921.aspx

Subject:  Re: Matthew McConaughey: "(Weightloss is) 9 Date:  11/16/2012  11:34 AM
Author:  zoningfool Number:  57384 of 58667

I never did believe in the stomach-shrinking thing either--nor the mantra that 'to lose weight, you need to eat more because your body is in a starvation mode'.

About the stomach-shrinking, I think that we get used to having a certain level of fullness and gradually ratcheting that down to become accustomed to less volume in the stomach is misinterpreted as our stomach shrinking.

And thanks for the link--pretty much stuff we already know--though I do disagree with the 'exercise makes you eat more' as a myth. Most definitely strenuous exercise will make you hungrier--while not necessarily within 20 minutes (in fact I've found that exercises temporarily depresses appetite immediately afterwards) but later in the day, you will be hungrier--much hungrier. That's why I now limit myself to moderate exercise for weightloss--otherwise I'm defeating the purpose. IOW there is a balance needed.

Oh yeah--keep in mind McConaughey lost the weight to play an aids patient...I thought he was becoming an anorexic...good to know it was just for a role.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us