The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Sports / Major League Baseball

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/the-angels-had-a-team-batting-overage-of-274-30385292.aspx

Subject:  Re: I Pay Attention Date:  11/16/2012  1:28 PM
Author:  dccats5 Number:  48249 of 51516

The Angels had a team batting overage of .274, vs. .268 for the Tigers and scored 41 more runs. Their respective team ERA's were 4.02 and 3.75, which equates to another 40 or so runs. Detroit had the #2 Cy Young finisher, while the Angels had #3. Looks to be pretty much a wash, except that Cabrera had better numbers everywhere except stolen bases.

And his team won.

Let me start by saying that I believe Cabrera should have won the MVP. But, an interesting take on the "his team won" argument, also known as the "only those that reach the playoffs should be MVP" argument.

Anaheim actually won more games than Detroit. Sure, they didn't make the playoffs and didn't win their division, but of course, they weren't helped by a free falling Chicago White Sox team like Detroit was. Chicago went 4-8 in their last 12 games. Detroit passed them by going 8-4 (and Cabrera played a big role in that, so he deserves some credit there).

The Angels also went 8-4, but they were chasing the A's who went 9-3 and the Orioles who went 7-5.

So again, this is not an argument that Cabrera shouldn't have won. It's an attempt at a cautionary tale for making the argument that he should have won because his team went to the playoffs and someone else's didn't.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us