The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-have-several-indian-the-subcontinent-that-is-30385569.aspx

Subject:  Re: The vote of every thinking person Date:  11/16/2012  3:12 PM
Author:  JLC Number:  655517 of 740110

I have several Indian (the subcontinent, that is) friends, and one of them mentioned to me that one of the greatest things the British ever did was teach all of India English. It helped them to unite against the British, and it unites them today much more than they would be otherwise.

India and China have one thing in common, a thousand different dialects. Cross over an mountain range and they're speaking a different language. That is one of the main reasons, China is teaching English to their kids. Not that they will ever become an English speaking nation, but that there will be a "more common" language.

A funny life example. Several occasions on my medical trips to China, I've had 2 translators between me and the patient. Conducting an interview was like the old telephone game you played as kids. What you had at the end was totally different than what was at the beginning.

JLC
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us