The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Family Life / Parents and Expecting Parents

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/but-gsf-how-did-you-do-with-sandy-thanks-so-30385592.aspx

Subject:  Re: I need to catch up Date:  11/16/2012  3:17 PM
Author:  GardenStateFool Number:  41997 of 42341

But GSF, how did you do with Sandy?

Thanks so much for asking!!!

I'm in Somerset County. We got walloped. Not the same way as the coastal portions, but there were trees EVERYWHERE. Roads closed everywhere, schools out for a week and a half.

I could have had it much worse. I didn't have any flooding in my house thanks to my generator. I didn't have a tree land IN my home, only in my yard.

I was out of power for a solid week. We learned an awful lot about what generators do and don't do, and how to make do without water when you have a well. I'm glad we did a lot of storm prep.

During the storm itself, our house was howling. The wind would catch the vents at an angle and it literally sounded like there were wolves in our attic and the walls. The boys were completely freaked out, even though we knew what it was it sounded awful.

But we tried to treat it as a learning experience, overall... hopefully some of the lessons will stick!

Thanks!

GSF
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us