The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-had-an-hispanic-housekeeper-for-20-years-who-30386263.aspx

Subject:  Re: The vote of every thinking person Date:  11/16/2012  8:41 PM
Author:  Goofyhoofy Number:  655608 of 741086

I had an Hispanic housekeeper for 20 years who hardly learned a word of English in two decades!! I had signs in Spanish all over the house.

Not unusual. First generation immigrant often remain in their native language in cloisters of similar immigrants. Italians in New York. Germans in Wisconsin. Spanish in Harlem. By the time the second generation comes along, they're bilingual. By the third generation they speak English, and only a little of the original foreign language.

Why are you so supportive of Spanish? Are you Hispanic? Why don't you want to assimilate?
Also, you must be young and fully indoctrinated.

I kinow this was directed at someone else, but so what? I'm retired. In my school system in New Jersey, we began learning Spanish in 6th grade. There were no - repeat, not one - "Hispanic" person in my school, or in my district (as I learned when going to a district-wide high school.) By the time I graduated college I had 3 years of Spanish in grade school, 4 years in high school, and 4 years in college. It has mostly gone away now, but it can come back remarkably quickly. I can even watch some Univision and make sense of what's going on.

What's the big issue, that some people speak another language? Why does that threaten you? Geez, you'd think they were another religion or something.

Oh, wait!
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us