The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Arts, Travel & Entertainment / Help With This Home Theater

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/okay-is-there-any-way-to-tell-how-efficient-one-30386389.aspx

Subject:  Re: RM: Floor-standing speakers Date:  11/16/2012  10:09 PM
Author:  MichaelRead Number:  9922 of 10537

Okay, is there any way to tell how efficient one is over the other? Or as the specs are so similar is comparing these two not useful? I see that the AT has smaller but two woofers compared to the BA's single one. Does that sort of thing make a difference? I do notice when looking at photos of floor standers they often have multiple woofers (which I believe you touched on in a previous post, referring to them having different frequency responses.)

As the 2 woofers in the ATs have the same frequency response, I can infer a couple possibilities, that either they used two to keep the box dimensions small, or 2 is better than one even if they are smaller? Does something weird happen as in total diameter making a difference?

Also can speakers (transducers?) get tired?

RM - full of questions

Both speakers have a sensitivity of 90dB done by putting in 2.83 volts (1 Watt at 8 Ohms) and having a mic one meter away measuring the speaker’s output in dB. That’s the technical jargon. What it means is a 90 dB sensitivity give more sound pressure than one at 60 dB.

Note: this isn’t a measurement of frequency response, volume and loudness control or the number of transducers or their size in a speaker. It’s more a rating on how the speaker was constructed (number of coil windings, the gauss strength of the magnet, etc.).

Speaker sensitivity had an importance when amps had limited Wattage however, today with amps churning out 100 W and more, not as much. Manufacturers still include the rating but in the real world (as opposed to measuring in a sonically dead room) amp power can overcome a low rating. It is a tad important when running multiple speakers as in 7.1 and up but even then most modern amps can handle the load.

Do speakers get old? They age. Some of the parts dry out (especially the foam surrounds holding the speaker in older designs) but otherwise they hold up well. Of all parts of a system that are replaced in upgrading speaker are usually last. I have, in my second downstairs system, speakers that are 30-odd years old and they’re still good.

MichaelR
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us