The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Social Clubs / Imp This Ride

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/frydaze-is-being-way-too-charitable-imo-given-30386505.aspx

Subject:  Re: Dear GOP Date:  11/17/2012  12:17 AM
Author:  makasha Number:  34758 of 38302

Frydaze is being way too charitable, IMO.

Given the exclusion of religion from the public sector, education necessarily then becomes a secular humanist teaching.

This, right off the bat in your first answer to Frydaze's question, stands out to me like crazy.

I mean, think deeply about this, honestly! Given the exclusion of religion from the public sector, education necessarily then becomes a secular humanist teaching. As if that is a bad thing?!

So you are saying that math, biology, physics, chemistry, US/world history, woodworking, auto shop, home economics, music, art, physical education, English, (for that matter, all languages that are taught in schools [Spanish, German, Mandarin, French, Japanese, Italian, etc.] should ALL somehow be taught in a religious context as opposed to a secular context? And this is a BAD thing?

How do you propose to teach trigonometry from a religious point of view?
How do you propose to teach Spanish from a religious point of view?
How do you propose to teach physical education from a religious point of view?
How do you propose to teach Creative Writing from a religious point of view?

Oh wait...we've got the Bible and the Qaran for that. Never mind that one.

To me, it seems like you want everyone's children taught by someone you'd like to sit down and have a beer with because they're "good people," never mind whether s/he happens to be any more well-informed on any particular subject than the child's parents or preachers. Personally, I want someone smarter than me to teach kids about physics and chemistry and art and music and writing. And I would be better at teaching math than many fellow parents I know who can't help their kids with 8th grade pre-algebra homework.

And by the way, that Bill Nye thing? Pretty similar to the whole Galileo situation.

kasha
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us