The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-dont-think-its-my-job-to-schoolmarm-spanish-30386648.aspx

Subject:  Re: The vote of every thinking person Date:  11/17/2012  7:37 AM
Author:  twopairfullhouse Number:  655637 of 748841

I don't think it's my job to schoolmarm Spanish speaking Americans from Spanish speaking ancestry who live in Spanish speaking places that have been Spanish speaking parts of America since they day they became part of America. It's offensive and ridiculous this idea that we must withhold Spanish from people because it might result in them using Spanish instead of conforming to *your* language. I think Americans ought to learn Math too, but I don't think we need to make people pass a math test in order to be included in society. As if these people owe you something...as if you are entitled to decide what language other people speak based ONLY on what is best for you personally.

Well, you're not. The world doesn't owe you, my friend.

There have been Spanish speakers in Arizona since long before there were English speakers. White English speakers IMMIGRATED to that area. It would make MORE sense for ballots and signs and schools to be *Spanish only* in Arizona than English only.
Absolutely. Denying people things they need because they haven't learned English with enough speed or vigor for your tastes is immoral and only further underscores the indifference you are willing to show your fellow man only because you feel such entitlement.

What a cascade of nonsense and emotional claptrap, signifying nothing.

Let me see if I boil this down even further. Balancing the outcomes of inconveniencing the older generation against allowing each new generation to avoid learning English, I'll go with the former, and you'll go with the latter. My plan will allow this group to be more productive in society at large, your plan will encourage greater dependency on Government (because Government will provide basic needs without having to learn English, while the real world forces everyone to provide value to someone else in order to get paid). My plan is what has worked for every other generation, nationality, and culture for the past 4 centuries. Your plan will create greater divisions among society, in the name of being sensitive to others. Your plan is also discriminatory, in that Spanish is favored over every other language.

As I said, my wife is Hispanic, and I've seen with my own eyes the correlation that the more English Hispanics speak, the better they do financially. And as I've said, I think most Americans would do well learning Spanish, but like it or not, English is the language that gives people greater upward mobility in the United States. I want what is best for everyone. You want to be inclusive and non-discriminatory, while your policies would result in greater exclusion and discrimination. In short, I want what works, and you want what makes you feel better. That's why we disagree.

But you can go on calling me racist if it makes you feel better. It's okay, I have a think skin.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us