The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-think-they-have-the-right-to-do-as-they-please-30386948.aspx

Subject:  Re: Price-gouging laws suck Date:  11/17/2012  11:31 AM
Author:  MadCapitalist Number:  655668 of 756531

I think they have the right to do as they please, and it is not wrong on a lawful basis. I also do not hang out with bigots, though I think it is perfectly legal to be one.

I think it is more stupid than wrong, when I can avoid it, I do not do business with the stupid.

I disagree. It is wrong on "a lawful basis." In other words, it's illegal. It just isn't wrong on a *moral* basis. There is nothing wrong with trading with another person on a completely voluntary basis. Both parties will only enter into the transaction if they both feel that they will benefit, and that includes if the seller is "price gouging" (i.e. charging what is justified by the supply and demand conditions of the market).

Of course the buyer will benefit even more from the trade if the price is lower, but this is not a justification for forcing the seller to benefit *less* from the trade.

"Price gouging" is moral because it is based on completely voluntary transactions. Price gouging *laws*, however, are completely immoral. They are coercion against peaceful citizens. Coercion is immoral and should be stopped.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us