The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early Liberal Edition

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-really-appreciate-this-post-i-am-traveling-to-30387506.aspx

Subject:  Re: Anybody else have this problem lately Date:  11/17/2012  7:11 PM
Author:  lindytoes Number:  46243 of 59866

I really appreciate this post. I am traveling to Panama as most of you know. So I asked my daughter about this. She said credit cards of any kind don't work there. She uses her debit card only, which is fine. She said a friend had a problem with someone accessing her account (I guess with the pin) and she didn't have any problem getting it fixed. I didn't ask Heather about traveler's checks since you seem to think they aren't that easy to use. Besides, since Heather lives there I won't be without resources. And since Panama uses American dollars I don't have any kind of conversion problems. But I am definitely taking a money belt with money of course. That's a good idea.

She said when you get a taxi you tell them the area you live in (she lives in San Francisco area of Panama) then you tell them the street and then the closest intersection street...then when you spot your building you say 'Alto' for stop. She said they don't have addresses. I think she said you tell them to go a certain way, like via Espana and that will get them in the general area. Seems like a very wasteful way to use gasoline. And I think the price of gasoline there is a little bit more than here in Georgia.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us